- Date : 28/08/2018
- Read: 4 mins
Did you know Lady Gaga loves coupons? Well, here are some more such surprising money habits of famous women.
“It’s not your salary that makes you rich; it’s your spending habits.” –Charles A. Jaffe
Having a bottomless bank balance doesn’t mean one should splurge like there’s no tomorrow. Surprisingly, some of the most affluent people in the world are also incredibly frugal. Each of them has their own thrifty practices, whether it’s living in a no-frills condo or lunching in the office cafeteria or shopping at Target.
Here’s a list of famous women whose frugal lives can teach us a thing or two about the value of money.
1. Michelle Obama – While her husband Barack Obama (then US President) was busy in the Oval Office, Michelle could be spotted shopping at Target for dog food and toys for their dog Bo. A thrifty shopper, Michelle looks for ways to save a buck or two on daily household items. Despite having access to any high-end designer line that she might desire, the former first lady often chooses to dress herself in clothing from less expensive stores. In fact, in 2011 she wore a $35 dress from H&M when she appeared on the Today show.
2. Lady Gaga –The American singer gained name and fame and also made a significant amount of money over the past few years – money she thinks twice before parting with. For instance, her love for coupons has been put out on social media time and again. Yes, she is a couponer! Although it may seem strange for a multimillionaire to frequent bargain basements, it’s true – she uses coupons to buy groceries. After all, this megastar is from New York City, where sales, bargains, and deals are much sought-after.
3. Sarah Jessica Parker – A popular name in Hollywood, the ‘Sex and the City’ star sure has earned some hefty paychecks. One of the reasons she’s prudent when it comes to spending is because her family was on welfare while she was growing up. As an adult, she prefers living a modest life where she continually looks for freebies and deals. Additionally, her son doesn’t buy any new clothes – all the clothes he possesses are hand-me-downs from nephews, uncles, and other family members.
4. Keira Knightly – Despite being world famous and having a net worth of around $50 million, Keira’s lifestyle is comparable to the rest of us. She claims she lives on about $50,000 over a whole year! She does so in order to keep herself in check and to remain grounded. She displayed this frugality even during her 2013 wedding to James Righton. The couple had a courthouse wedding in the South of France and invited only 50 guests to their reception. Instead of spending a fortune on a wedding gown, Keira wore a dress that had been with her for years.
5. Kristen Bell – This is another famous actress who lives life below her means. Both Kristen and her husband Dax Shepard live a relatively modest lifestyle. Apart from wearing a wedding dress priced at $142 and conducting their wedding in a courthouse, she once sported a $45 outfit from Target at an event. In an interview with Conan O’Brien in 2012, she said she’s a fan of coupons and exclusively shops with them – especially the 20% off coupons from ‘Bed Bath & Beyond.’
6. Halle Berry – Her role as Catwoman has her etched in our memory forever but she’s just like the rest of us! She scours around stores looking for racks with deals, bargain bins, and offers. As a child, Halle watched her mother struggle with money and it was probably this early experience that encouraged her to adopt a practical approach to life. As she once said, “I save a lot because I’m always worried about when this trip is going to stop.”
It’s no secret; the more money you have, the more freedom you have to live life on your terms. You can dine at fancy restaurants, drink the finest wines, wear designer outfits, or buy the latest gadgets. Yet many of the rich and famous tend to avoid this lavish lifestyle and live below their means.
Why? The reason is simple – they got to where they are today by living frugally, saving up, and not living the extravagant life. If you’re interested in accumulating wealth and living a life like theirs, there’s a lot to learn from their habits.