- Date : 08/01/2018
- Read: 4 mins
Diabetes can affect you at any age. How you deal with it, before and after, can make a huge difference.
The number of people suffering from Diabetes in India is constantly increasing. In fact, India is said to have the highest cases of diabetes cases, with 70 million people affected by this illness. If detected at an early stage, diabetes can be controlled. Unfortunately, a major chunk of the population, especially women, don’t even know that they are suffering from diabetes.
Is diabetes affecting you?
Young or old, diabetes can affect anyone. But because of how hormones react in women, diabetes usually goes undetected for a long time. A study conducted by the Department of Science and Technology shows that prevalence of this disease among urban, middle-class women is 17.7%, while in rural areas it is 10%. The way a woman's body works is very different from a man’s. This makes it extremely necessary for you to always be aware of your health.
While a health insurance plan cannot cure diabetes, it can help you manage it. Many insurers now offer health insurance specifically for this disease, reducing your worries. Even if you aren’t suffering from diabetes, but have a family history of the same, it is wise to get an insurance plan. Here are some of the things you should look for in the policy.
- Check the waiting period, if there is one. Most health plans that cover diabetes have a waiting period of 2-3 years. So, choose a plan with the lowest waiting period, if possible.
- Diabetes can harm other organs in your body; for instance, the kidney. See if your policy covers problems that may occur due to diabetes. Having additional protection is always welcome.
- While deciding your cover amount, evaluate your current condition. Are you diabetic? If yes, how serious is it? Even if you aren’t a diabetic, is there a chance of it being genetically passed on to you? If yes, then this should be an important factor while deciding your cover amount.
- Regular check-ups will be essential if you have diabetes, and this translates to a lot of money being spent on medical tests. So, consider this while getting a health plan. Insurers often cover blood and other tests that help determine if high blood sugar is hampering your overall health.
- Medications are another constant feature when it comes to diabetes. If you do test positive for this illness, regular doses of tablets or insulin injections could follow. This can be a costly affair. So, check if your insurance policy covers these expenses as well.
- Hospitalisation due to a problem directly or indirectly related to diabetes must also be covered by your insurance policy. Once diabetes is detected, it is a battle from then on. Some people may even seek therapy to find the motivation to fight this disease. Fortunately, some insurers also cover the cost of therapy.
Precautions to take
It is essential that you get checked regularly if your family has a history of diabetes. The earlier diabetes is detected, the faster you can address the illness and reduce serious risks. Additionally, you are likely to get a better insurance cover if you catch it early.
Altering everyday habits can also help reduce the risk of diabetes. Simple steps such as eating healthy food and at the right time, controlling your weight, getting adequate exercise and sleep daily are some things you can do for a healthier lifestyle. Having said that, it is still advisable to get a health insurance policy, which can come in handy in unexpected situations. Check the terms and conditions, illnesses and add-ons that are covered, and only then buy a suitable policy.
Disclaimer: This article is intended for general information purposes only and should not be construed as investment or insurance or tax or legal advice. You should separately obtain independent advice when making decisions in these areas.