- Date : 24/07/2019
- Read: 6 mins
Need help to pinpoint the right career choice for you? Here are 7 simple ways you can try out.
Pertinent advice from everyone around would tell you to go for a career choice that is your forte. The downside is that no one tells you how to do it. The solution then would be to think about your options carefully until you discover your talent.
To pinpoint to the right career choice, first, you need to investigate – understand and try out new options and focus outwards instead of inwards. Here is how you can achieve this.
1. Try out things to find out what you excel at
You need to find a job that you are good at. Success in your career becomes a possibility if you excel at what you do. A study found that the 10% successful people at the top contribute to approximately 50% of the work. Here is what you should consider:
• Do your research ahead of schedule if you are selecting from an array of options.
• Look at your strengths to align them with your options.
• Before you take on anything long-term, see if you can have short try-out sessions.
From a woman’s perspective, being flexible allows the option to settle down and raise a family later. A study by Matthew Wiswall of Arizona State University and Basit Zafar of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York found that while choosing careers, women prioritised flexibility and security whereas men focused more on wages.
2. Don’t follow passion alone
While passion is great, you should also concentrate on the end impact of the work that you are getting into. Data suggests on an average; people change jobs 11.7 times. It is essential to find the right fit.
Let these clues guide your passion:
• Consider the flip side of your weaknesses.
• Check if you are drawn to any particular subject.
• If you indulge in a specific hobby or interest, see if that can be transformed into a career choice.
3. Keep a check on reality
Expectations related to taking up a specific career path might not be in sync with the reality of the situation. A lot of women opt for women-dominated careers with better opportunities for progress and growth. However, it is best to understand what the real work environment is going to be like.
• Ask yourself some honest questions.
• Talk to experts who are veterans in the field to know what it would be like to work in that domain.
• Seeking professional help by opting for a career assessment of your interests, values, and skills.
4. Shortlist from amongst your options
You cannot try out everything. Cutting down to a shorter list of prospective options can work better. Here is how you can narrow down your list of possibilities:
• Make a list of options available to you.
• Rank your options according to what suits your strengths and abilities.
• Make a pros and cons list and add any possible uncertainties that you may have.
5. See if you need additional training
When considering career options, it is crucial to assess your competencies and vice versa. For example, you may be a great Sales Rep, but does that qualify you to be a fantastic Sales Director? Statistics[S3] suggest that 90% of millennials want to grow their careers with their current companies, which makes this a very relevant aspect of choosing a career route.
So, what can help you achieve that understanding?
• Be completely aware of your current skill-set and see if it is well-defined to align with your career choice.
• See if any additional training is required.
• Consider if your present set of skills and interest are the driving force behind achieving your career aspirations.
• Contemplate on the changing needs of the business and economic landscape and check if your training has the potential to handle it.
• Whenever you advance or upgrade your skill-sets, ensure that professionals in your network are aware of it.
6. Your job should be something that you care about
Your job may tick a lot of the right boxes, and you may even be good at what you do. Ironically, if you do not care about your work, then the result is going to be unsatisfactory. Additionally, it will also impact your overall productivity. Keep these key points in mind:
• Ensure that you are passionate about bringing superior products and services, promoting innovation and developing a community for like-minded individuals.
• The choices you make should be free of a sense of guilt by not comparing your actions with your peers.
7. Try to find some value in your role
There are going to be monotonous aspects of your work life. However, the key is to focus on how your role serves others. Concentrate on these fundamentals:
• See if your role adds value in terms of bringing an essential product or service to one’s life.
• Focus on the aspects of your work that you enjoy.
• Strike a work-life balance.
• Modify your attitude towards work to regain a sense of purpose and control over your responsibilities.
Be it your first job or making a career shift, the initial step that you should think about is what truly drives you. Get past the obvious such as pay and security, although it is harder said than done considering the current economic scenario. As per a survey conducted among 1100 respondents in India, an astonishing 80% of employees are dissatisfied with their jobs. Feeling fulfilled in one’s role at work should be the most important criteria while considering career choices.
With the foundation in place, you can begin to fine-tune your career search. You may be surprised how seamlessly your passions can blend in with your career choice. Here are some offbeat career options for the modern woman.